Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Suffering and Real Love

     I mentioned in a previous post the documentary “The Human Experience." I was thinking about the film as I was moaning about some ache or pain which was real and annoying but in the scheme of things, minor. Why do I let things like that bother me so? I cannot imagine the real suffering that some endure. An article was written about our Mary Pat in the National Catholic Register by Laurie Ghigliotti, dated December 19, 2010. We suffered over her disabilities when she was born, and for months if not years after. But there was always a knowledge--a reality--of God’s presence with us. I am sorry that some do not know the peace that He gives at times like that. Mary Pat is a miracle and a gift beyond measure. I know that others suffer worse...and have no beautiful Mary Pat to hold or to smile at them. Is their suffering in vain?

     Whomever Jesus is in your belief system, He is a well documented historical figure and what He said is cross-referenced and supported through history. Jesus taught us to go beyond ourselves and love others despite inconvenience and our own suffering. I remember when I was a little girl, hearing in church “It is better to give than to receive,” and “No greater love hath man than this, to lay down his life for a friend.” Jesus gave all that He had, down to the last centimeter of flesh and the last drop of blood. His suffering was endured even for people who wouldn’t know Him or love Him or acknowledge Him, yet He willingly died. “God forgive them, for they know not what they do.” He could still love them, and die for them. For us.

     We all get wrapped up in ourselves. Me, to a fault. I’m thankful for God’s forgiveness and reconciliation, and for new beginnings. A beautiful Christian friend visited a few weeks ago. Nadija glows. She is so full of joy. Her life has had plenty of suffering, but she loves God and she loves every human being. She said, “I’m not trying to be as good as someone else. I’m trying to love like Jesus showed me.”

     A loving Creator wouldn’t set a ball in motion and sit back to see what happened. He also wouldn’t manipulate every detail in a robotic type world. He would create us with free will and love us more deeply than we love our children. He would come to the Earth as a little baby and experience all there is to be human. He would create us with free will, but would pay the ultimate price for it. He would be overjoyed with every bit of love returned, every example of love modeled and with every reconciliation. Through His Resurrection He would make it possible for us to be with Him forever.

     So I’ll keep returning to Him. When I have the days where I’m so wrapped up in me I’ll strive to pray for others. I’ll make my way clumsily, eventually and ardently back to Him, to the source of me, of us all.

I pray that you always have hope and that you know His love.
Suzy


The Abbey Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment